Monday, February 27, 2006

This Weeks Movers and Shakers

This article hails the first in a new series documenting the ebb and flow of cuts in and out of my organic top 40. To make it to the organic top 40 is the highest accolade to be bestowed upon any of the 5460 songs who live in my record collection. Once you are there though it doesn’t mean you will stay their indefinitely; as tastes develop and new music is constantly released and re-released you always run the risk of finding yourself unceremoniously returned to the rabble and replaced by a more deserving tune. Last week saw the first major shake up amongst the big boys and of course there were some winners and losers.

Relegated


I am relieved to say that my closet affair with the Sugar Babes has come to end, as the well over due dismissal of “Push the Button” Finally materialised. There is little I can say in defence of this song or my decision to have it in my top 40 for so long other than the chorus is catchy and possesses a real hook; but ultimately I think I was just thinking back to video which I could watch 100 times and probably for most of those I’d, in hindsight, be happy to have the music off for.



The next song to get the chop was the Arctic Monkeys song “When the sun goes down”; it would be unfair to say I had fallen out of love with this song but there is such a thing as serious over play and when a song is released as a number one single, has an eye catching video and then goes on the fastest selling album of all time it is possible to get sick of it. I had always felt the intro to be a little quirky and not entirely to my taste but the crescendo of punk rock guitar with it’s choppy off beats more than made up for it.



Another notable resident who found himself packing his things was 2+2=5 from the indomitable Radiohead. Now I have made my opinions about Radiohead known in other articles in no concise terms but the depression was simply getting the better of me and the order of last weeks cabinet reshuffle was a bit more light heartedness. I wouldn’t be surprised if I catch it trying to wheedle its way back in shortly. In fact 2+2=5 wasn’t the only Radiohead causality last week; also “life in a glass house” was cut and for exactly the same reasons as above. I think in short I love the grandeur of this piece and the mellow nature of the dulcet horns combined with Yorke conjure grainy photo quality images of a smoky Parisian jazz club in the 1920s.


The last notable loser was John Coltrane’s “Mr. P.C.” this song is such a wonderful 7 minute ball of energy whose driving rhythm doesn’t falter once and the recurrence of such a memorable refrain throughout makes for such a holistic sounding piece. The reason he made his exit was because I simply haven’t been in the mood to give music of this calibre the attention it deserves and with 2006 signalling an explosion in UK alternative which is just crying out to be eaten up John had to sacrifice the floor to some younger talent.

Promoted


The first one to get the nod was a straight replacement for the fallen Arctic Monkeys song; “From Ritz to the Rubble”, the song tells just such a compelling story which is nigh impossible not to empathise with; it’s an honest and human monologue that I think establishes a real connection. Again the tempo is a real selling point as it drives relentlessly across its 3.13 course; this tempo is really establishing itself as an expected factor in all of their songs.


Another entry is “Big Night Out” by FLC which can be found on the record “100% Columbian” which despite being a critically acclaimed follow up to come find yourself never had the big tunes of its older brother. Big Night Out has a wonderful anthemic quality about it when at the mid way point it switches into half tempo lighter waving, beer swilling, show stopper. I saw FLC a few years ago and as many will know they regularly perform with just three members, despite this, as the set ended they milked the grand finale of this song for all it was worth; heart stopping stuff.


One of my favourite tunes at the moment and one that makes me sing out loud in public places is “Cant stand me now” by the Libs and is the opening track on their self titled first album. They are a band I was only introduced to recently but it is easy to understand why they achieved such iconic status. The highlight of this song has to be one of the best lyrics ever written which reads “Boy kicked out at the world and the world kicked back a lot fuckin harder”. For me this line smacks with bitter comic irony and is delivered with such feeling; I like to imagine it as an autobiographical line by Doherty.


The last comment worthy addition is “Oranges and Lemons Again” by Suggs and the Jools Holland Orchestra. I have always loved a bit of bouncing ska and coupled with Suggs somewhat laughable cockney accent what could better to lift the winter blues! It is a twee little story about London in more innocent times and the hook of turning out oranges and lemons is a gorgeous analogy for a sunny day in the capital.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Errr Ryan... o god your going to hate me for this, but lets face it when it comes to bands we love we all get a bit picky.
The Libertines first album was 'Up the Bracket' not, 'The Libertines'. Both albums are excellent but i think 'Up the Bracket' slightly has the edge.
Also, on this note have you heard Carl Barat's new band yet 'Dirty Pretty Things'?? Saw them a few weeks ago and must they were pretty terrific. Shame Pete's not doing so well, seriously smart, talented man that has let his life slip away.
But anyway before things get too morose i'll just leave you alone and stop picking out miniature flaws with your otherwise excellent articles!
love
claire

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home