Friday, December 02, 2005

"Has the bus come yet? If the bus came would I be standing here, Knob head?"

Despite my better predictions posted on the 21st November The Arctic Monkeys are proving to be quite popular with plenty of MTV airplay for their video for “I bet you look good on the dance floor” and a short US tour followed by an immediate return to big London venues already planned. Their next song “When the sun goes down” is also getting radio play. Oh I’d love to have been in the NME editors office when they realised that the Arctic Monkeys might actually be big, I’m sure they are kicking themselves right now, unfortunately to remove lips from monkey posterior at this stage would simply be a U-turn, not a very brash rock and roll tactic I must say. But if it is any consolation to the NME big wigs I think no one understands better the Monkey’s limited longevity better than the boys themselves.

Without wishing to trip out, what didn’t start life as being very insightful, lines again; I really believe they have missed the punk bus and despite the old adage, two will not be along shortly. If I may refer you to the video for “I bet you look good on the dance floor” I believe there are numerous tell tale signs which have “god I wish it was ’79 again” written all over them.

Firstly I must profess I haven’t seen a guitar slung so high since the beach boys and although punk shouldn’t be about how it looks I don’t think they are doing themselves any favours by impersonating Paul McCartney. Secondly they chose to have their video recorded in some grainy quality which is somewhat reminiscent of 70s top of the pops and the end screen two tone bubble text just goes to prove my point. Thirdly they went with that popular punk “no fans” look for the video, while they would like to say “we are only in this for the music, not the fans or the money” they are really saying” We wish this was the Hacienda”. The Hacienda was a ground breaking punk venue which opened in Manchester in 1982 and until 1986 didn’t have any customers, a trend reversed by Dave Haslam’s Indies Thursdays. The club eventually slipped under in 1992 but not until it had left its mark on punk and indie, the Happy Mondays have a lot to thank the Hacienda for. Lastly with lyrics like “like in 1984” you will always be walking the fine line of misinterpretation.

In brief conclusion I really think the Arctic Monkeys need to grab what they can before it’s all too late and bearing in mind they have only just reached puberty I seriously suggest they all stay in school. I had an ironic titter to myself upon hearing the last line to their song “Fake Tales of San Francisco” which read “Get off the bandwagon and put down the hand book” while this is an authentic punk message about spontaneity and not following the crowd it does miss the obvious point that you have to be on before you can get off.

3 Comments:

Blogger QueenieCarly said...

Hello again Ryan.

Well, I may be a girl who knows *MY* music, I may not be one that knows *YOUR* music. We've already disagreed on Golddigger, but let's explore and see if we can find some common ground. I do keep that iPod list at the top of my page relatively up to date, but here's what is on my iTunes repeat playlist at the moment.

Last Christmas redone by Jimmy Eat World
All of Jimmy Eat World's last EP, Stay on my Side Tonight
The French Kicks - my cousin gave me a disc with a random mix of their songs on it
Soul Meets Body by Death Cab For Cutie gets lots of play here, but it still stops my heart

How's that for a start?

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ryan

Its Claire here, I've finally got round to reading most of the articles here and being the argumentative girl I am i felt i should give you my two cents.

So, lets get this debate over the Arctic Monkeys going. You've said that they're trying reignite a genre that is dying on its feet. However, if you look to their almost entirely self made success, is there not the chance that in fact this is exactly what they are doing. Fashion goes round in circles, perhaps just maybe, UK punk is on a comeback. I saw them perform at Reading this year, and i think i can safely say i have NEVER seen such a *small* band play a gig with this much energy.

They perform well live, and write good, pop/punk tunes. They've found a captive audience that seems to be increasing weekly, and unlike other niche bands (i'm thinking here of say The Darkness, GLC) they've got the "cool" factor. And let's face it, thats worth as much as anything. What keeps fans loyal to Pete Doherty?

Anyway, surely the fact you've been forced to write two articles on a band you so quickly dismissed speaks for itself!

Well anyways Ryan, we shall see how things unfold but I for one hope they manage to stick around. As in the case of all new successful bands, it all comes down to the ominous second album.

(By the way I love the site)
love
Claire

6:51 AM  
Blogger Ryan Fender said...

Hey Claire thank you very much for your comment, I really value your point of view on rock and alternative so keep them coming. I certainly hope that classic punk is soon to return to these shores with the vibrance and popularity it had in the 80s.
You have to admit they must be doing something right because everyday they get radio air play and then the DJs um and ah about whether or not they are simply a one hit (one album) wonder. This is exactly the point I am trying to get across; i have never said they are bad, but i am yet to be convinced about how long they hang around for. Ultimatly Nirvana and the sex pistols didnt last for eons (obvious reason-band member deaths) but the clash pulled a good 10 or 12 years so it can be done. I am going to carry on listening to the monkeys and cross my fingers that a punk wave is sweeping round to carry them along. Lastly Id like to add that Keith from the prodigy said that genres are only unpopular because there are no good songs around, so based on that as long as the monkeys continue to write catchy tunes they could be the one band army that reignites main stream punk.

thanks again for your contribution claire
Love

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home